What is the difference between silicone and TPE?
1. What are TPE and silicone?
Silica gel is a thermosetting elastomer with the advantages of safety and non-toxicity. It is insoluble in water and any solvents, non-toxic and odorless, and has stable chemical properties. It does not react with any substance except strong alkali and hydrofluoric acid. It has high adsorption performance and heat. With good stability and stable chemical properties, it is widely used in adult products and food products.
TPE is a kind of thermoplastic elastomer, which is environmentally friendly, non-toxic, easy to color, smooth and soft to the touch, hardness range 0A-120A, simple processing and molding, does not require vulcanization processing, can be recycled and reused, reducing costs. It can be coated with PP, PE, PC, PS, ABS and other plastic materials (secondary injection), or it can be formed separately.
I'm 100% sure that some people will pick the word and say that since the silicone material is non-toxic and odorless, why do many of the products you mark are silicone material, why do I still get a big smell in my hand, maybe you deceive consumers? I can only say that you think the problem is too naive. Now there is something pure material, just like the tungsten steel made of tungsten element is stronger, the silicon element is added, the silicon steel made is more ductile, every In addition to using practical silicone as a basic material, some manufacturers will add some other formulas to synthesize the softness, elasticity and design requirements that they require. So the toy you get is definitely not 100% pure silicone, but synthetic silicone. .
Second, the difference between TPE and silicone:
1. TPE is a general term for a variety of elastomer materials that have rubber elasticity at normal temperature and can melt and flow at high temperature. Silica gel is a special rubber. It has good mechanical strength, wear resistance and high temperature resistance after crosslinking. It is a thermosetting rubber. It will not melt after heating after vulcanization. It will burn when the temperature is too high. The product of complete combustion is water. And silica.
2. They are different in the analysis structure: silica gel is an elastomer connected by a silicon-oxygen bond in the main chain, and the side chain is generally methyl, namely CH3. TPE is a thermoplastic elastomer with styrenes, olefins, and polyurethanes. The main difference between the molecular structure of the two is the SI02 structure and the CC structure.
3. From the processing performance point of view: silicone rubber needs to be vulcanized and heated to form, while TPE can be processed without vulcanization. Silicone processing is difficult to form, while TPE production and processing are simple.
4. Silicone has advantages over TPE in terms of high temperature resistance. The temperature resistance of silica gel is generally between 200 degrees and 300 degrees, and TPE is generally theoretically high temperature resistant between 130-150 degrees Celsius.
5. The price of silica gel is generally more than 30,000 yuan per ton, and the general price of TPE is between 130,000 and 30,000. TPE has an advantage in price, except for special TPE materials, such as halogen-free flame retardant, food grade and so on.
6. From the cost point of view, the waste of silica gel cannot be recycled, TPE waste, nozzle material, corner material, etc. can be fully recycled and reused, and TPE can save more costs.